I have lost my skin

Post all stuff on skins
Cruce
Site Admin
Site Admin

I have lost my skin

Postby Cruce » Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:39 pm

I have exported a character out of UnrealED as an obj file. The problem is when I bring it into Maya, all of the UVMap information appears to be gone. If I bring it into UltimateUnwrap, I see the character and can reassign the skins and re-save it. But it still shows up in Maya with no skin.

Maybe I am going about this the wrong way. I have succesfully changed a character from a standing default pose to a sitting pose. I want to import this new character into unrealED as a staticmesh with it skin.

Does anyone have any suggestions, tutorials, required software, etc?
Thanks,
-Cruce
-Cruce
--------------------------------------
a cruce salus - from the cross comes salvation

Cruce
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cruce » Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:57 pm

Here is the ase file ready for importing into UnrealED. The original obj export contained like 19 different texture ID's, Even though the staticmesh only had two skins (body and head). The first and last appeared to be the body and head, while the others were masks, etc. I converted them to ase and lightwave formats with just two texture IDs. The problem you will see is that the applied textures/skins are all messed up. If someone knows how to re-texture this or point me in the right direction, that would be great. I can also convert it into other formats.
malesitting2.ase
malesitting2.lwo
I am trying to use the MPC Male Skins.
-Cruce
-Cruce

WeAre138
veteran
veteran

Postby WeAre138 » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:52 am

Im not nearly as good a modder as you guys are. I just dabble with stuff a little bit. I've found this tutorial a while back for exporting models from unreal into static meshes and it works, keeping all the texture mapings intact:

http://v2.saphiria.net/notes-ukxexport.php

I've followed that tutorial and sucessfully exported any model with all texture mappings in the correct position no matter how many different textures there are.

Hope that helps you out man.

Edit:

I see what your saying now the model shows up all black and although textues are applied, they don't show up. I think somthings wrong with the export, try that tutorial above.

How did you get him in the sitting position before you exported it?
I don't know how to do that :(

Cruce
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cruce » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:30 am

I have followed that tutorial before, part of the way. I don't have Deep Exploration. I'll give it another try, in case I'm missing a step.

I got him in a sitting position after exporting him.
Thanks for the info.
-Cruce
-Cruce

Cruce
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby Cruce » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:50 am

I just learned something really cool from another post. If you are using the tutorial as suggested by WeAre138, you can select any pose from the Animation tab, click on the button that looks like a joystick with an 'A', and it will change the charcter in the map to that pose. Very Cool. I think I have found a couple of poses that if rotated just right will look like they are in a sitting position.
-Cruce
-Cruce

THEXFILES
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby THEXFILES » Tue Jul 25, 2006 6:08 pm

Yes I wish I knew you could pose them, I would have added some cool effects to some maps, oh well, next map :D

YOU DONT STOP PLAYING GAMES WHEN YOU GET OLD, YOU GET OLD WHEN YOU STOP PLAYING GAMES.

Return to “UT2004 SKINS”